This year we’re celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Global LGBTQIA+ Employees and Allies at Microsoft (GLEAM) employee resource group that is a driving force for LGBTQIA+ inclusion and Pride at Microsoft around the world.
At a time when LGBTQIA+, transgender, non-binary, and gender-expansive communities need support, Microsoft invites everyone to keep and make more Pride by sharing stories, open-sourcing the entire Pride campaign design, contributing to LGBTQIA+ organizations, and creating a wide product release.
Our efforts to support and advocate for LGBTQIA+ people do not start or end at Pride. By supporting our employees through global advocacy, charitable giving and better workplace practices, we hope to make a difference for LGBTQIA+ communities and beyond, as our drive for positive global impact continues.
Discover everything Pride at unlocked.micosoft.com/pride.
Making Pride open-source
At a time when Pride is getting harder to organize and celebrate, we’re empowering organizers around the world by open-sourcing the entire Pride campaign design and inviting everyone to remix, share and make more Pride. We’re releasing campaign assets today on GitHub and adding ready-made templates to Clipchamp.
Last year, we open-sourced our Pride flag design representing 40 LGBTQIA+ identities. Our flag update released today reflects almost 50 identities, expands representation of Asexual, Aromantic and Trans identities, and is available in new designs and sizes.
Our Pride expression reflects on the open, inviting, grass-roots nature of Pride. Brush strokes, bright colors and a variety of flag combinations celebrate a community that’s wide, global, and ever-growing.
This is Pride
Our Pride centers on simple truths about the LGBTQIA+ experience shared by employees around the world. Hugging your loved one is Pride. Openly serving your country is Pride. Mutual respect is Pride. And much more. By sharing their stories, LGBTQIA+ people at Microsoft hope to invite everyone to make more Pride.
Year-around, we recognize the many ways this diverse community continues to contribute and influence innovation at Microsoft and beyond. Join us in celebrating with powerful employee stories of strength, community, and leadership by visiting Inclusion Is Innovation.
More LGBTQIA+ storytelling and representation on Xbox
This year, we’re taking it a step further. Xbox Game Studios Publishing is announcing a long-term partnership with the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation
(GLAAD) to increase LGBTQIA+ representation and storytelling in Xbox games. Through this partnership, we’re hoping to bring more LGBTQIA+ stories, characters and lived experiences to Xbox in ways that will resonate with gamers around the world.
During June and beyond, Xbox is featuring a variety of game collections that showcase LGBTQIA+ creators, lead characters and games with inclusive gender and relationship options. These collections will exist year-round as part of our ongoing work to create more inclusive gaming ecosystems and elevate content that resonates with communities.
These are just some of the many celebrations on Xbox. Discover more on Xbox Wire.
Make Pride with us – tune in to our live event on June 16 at 10 a.m. PDT
This year, LGBTQIA+ communities at Microsoft invite everyone to join our live “Make Pride” event on YouTube to learn about the state of LGBTQIA+ rights from organizers, players, and advocates from LGBTQIA+ communities at Microsoft and beyond. Discover how we can bridge borders and bring about collective change for all.
We hope you can join us on June 16 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. PDT to watch the livestream at aka.ms/talkpride
Our Pride collection
Since the introduction of our first Pride products in 2018, they’ve been a visible celebration of the intersectionality and strength of the LGBTQIA+ communities.
- Microsoft Unlocked – Discover all things Pride at Microsoft.
- Xbox – Explore nonprofit partnerships, community stories, in-game content, and more – all created by and with LGBTQIA+ communities.
- Xbox Gear – Wear your Pride with limited-edition T-shirts, totes and more.
- Xbox games – Celebrate Pride with LGBTQIA+ creators on Xbox.
- Xbox Design Lab Pride controller – Customize the Xbox Wireless Controller with Xbox Design Lab and show your Pride with the new bold design. Available year-round in all Xbox Design Lab markets.
- Microsoft Store – Explore collections of games and movies curated by the LGBTQIA+ communities at Microsoft.
- Windows – Bring your Pride to your Windows with new wallpapers celebrating Pride and many LGBTQIA+ communities.
- Microsoft 365 – Turn on your Pride in select Microsoft 365 apps* and celebrate with a special theme inspired by the flags of the LGBTQIA+ communities.
- Microsoft Teams – Show where you stand with over 50 virtual backgrounds representing different LGBTQIA+ flags.
- Outlook mobile – Embrace your Pride year-round in Outlook mobile on iOS and Android with permanent themes inspired by the Pride, Trans, Lesbian, Bisexual and Nonbinary flags.
- Microsoft Rewards – Join Microsoft Rewards to support OutRight International by simply searching on Microsoft Bing.
- Bing – Explore the stories of people who’ve contributed to the ongoing progress for LGBTQIA+ equality.
- Microsoft Life – Explore the stories of our employees from around the world.
- Inclusion is Innovation – Explore LGBTQIA+ stories year-round.
- Clipchamp – Unleash your creativity on Clipchamp with Pride templates, filters, stickers and more.
- Microsoft Create – Choose from dozens of easily customizable templates with Microsoft Create.
- Microsoft Designer – Create unique Pride designs and get suggested text to match, powered by AI.
Acting on the message – donating $200,000 to LGBTQIA+ nonprofits
We’re continuing our long-standing support of LGBTQIA+ organizations. To recognize the launch of our 2023 Pride campaign and products, we’re contributing a total of $200,000 to Outright International, Stonewall, SAATHII, Casa Rara and GLAAD to help in the fight for LGBTQIA+ equity and equality. That’s in addition to the $1.4 million we’ve donated together with our employees since last year, and over $30 million we’ve donated in the last 30 years.
Standing up for LGBTQIA+ equity since 1989
Microsoft introduced sexual orientation into our non-discrimination policies in 1989 – and we’ve been driving toward LGBTQIA+ inclusion ever since. In 1993, we began offering employee benefits for same-sex domestic partnerships, making us one of the first companies in the world to do so. We stood as a public supporter for marriage equality even before it became legal in the United States – and we continue to advocate for every type of family. Microsoft has attained a 100 score on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index for 17 years.
Since its founding in 1993, GLEAM has honored Pride by lifting up LGBTQIA+ voices and used the reach of our products to share the messages of inclusion and support.
We invite everyone to join us in the call for making more Pride. Share your thoughts with us on social by using #MicrosoftPride and #Pride.
* “Show your Pride” theme is available in the following apps – iOS: Outlook, OneNote, Office, Word, Excel and PowerPoint; in Android: Outlook; in Mac OS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote In Outlook, you can find the Pride themes in Settings > Appearance In all other apps, you can find Pride theme in Settings.
Source: The Official Microsoft Blog